I am terrible about keeping my promise to post weekly recipes. I totally try new recipes all the time, for serious. Anyway, this one’s been tested and approved by my cooking club* AND my picky husband.
Verdict: Freakin delicious
File under: Breakfast, Healthy
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 3/4 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Beat in whole wheat pastry flour, flax seed meal, wheat germ, all-purpose flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt until batter is smooth.
- Preheat a waffle iron, and coat with cooking spray. Pour batter into waffle iron in batches, and cook until crisp and golden brown.
Best when served with a mimosa.
*By the way, my cooking club posts our recipes here when we get around to it. So yeah, I’m recycling a post. :p
Note: I didn’t use wheat germ because I didn’t remember to hit the health food store in time for cooking club. Everything else was available at normal grocery stores. The missing wheat germ didn’t seem to effect the taste in a negative way because they were still pretty good.