I will occasionally find myself doing the hippie-dippiest things and it makes me ridiculously happy. The other day while Hannah was napping, I was making my own face soap. With Calendula petals I dried myself. From flowers I grew in my garden. From seeds. That I obtained from an organic seed swap.
Calendula is awesome for the skin – it brightens and protects it from blemishes. It also fights infections and encourages collagen production. I wanted to share the recipe for this really easy soap. Everything in it is super good for your skin.
ORGANIC CALENDULA FACE BAR
- 2lbs Castile soap base
- 1/2 TBS Shea Butter
- 1/2 TBS Coconut Oil
- 1/2 TSP Vitamin E Oil
- 1 TBS Organic Raw Honey
- 6-8 TBS dried Calendula petals
- 20-30 drops essential oil (optional). I used Wild Lemon.
Here are all the ingredients gathered up.
- Cut Castile soap base bars into small chunks (about 1″x1″). Place in microwave-safe bowl.
- Heat soap pieces in microwave in 30-second increments, stirring between, until melted.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into your mold of choice. I used a cleaned half &half container with the top cut off because I like the idea of small, perfectly square soaps. You could also use a greased muffin tin, silicon soap or baking molds, or silicon ice cube trays for small soaps.
- Let the soap sit for at least 12 hours. Remove from your mold and cut into bars. Package any way you like. I like to wrap soap in parchment paper and add my own labels with the ingredients printed, especially if I give them away as gifts!
Here’s the soap poured into my fancy mold. A lot of the petals floated up, giving the top of the mold the most organic matter in it.
Here’s the finished product. Cutting about 1 inch thick slabs, this made 8 bars. I gave most away as gifts, but had a couple leftover for myself. It smells so good!
PS: You don’t have to grow your own Calendula to make this; you can find anything online. I like Majestic Mountain Sage and Mountain Rose Herbs for all the supplies I use (in addition to the grocery store, and DoTERRA for the essential oils.)