I’m a sucker for mission statements and mantras. I know it’s kind of cheesy. But I love reading others’ and creating my own. I had written my own rules to live by some time ago and came across them when I was backing up files on my laptop. I am going to write these down and put them in my day planner to refer to periodically because seeing this list put some things I’m going through right now in perspective.
Here are Kellie’s Rules to Live By*:
- Give sincere compliments, and often.
- Be grateful for something every single day.
- Do something good for my body every single day.
- Never stop learning. Never stop trying new things.
- Practice random acts of kindness.
- When I am bored, create something. Anything.
- Have adventures.
- Always be nice. Even when I am frustrated.
- Find something interesting about everyone I meet.
- Solve problems rather than complain about them.
*Many of these are things I’m constantly working on, such as solving rather than complaining. I do plenty of solving, too… but generally a fair amount of whining or grumbling comes before and during dealing with problems!
Have you ever created any life rules or mantras?
6 thoughts on “rules to live by”
i love the “when I’m bored” one and may need to adopt it for myself. I believe in always returning the shopping cart.
Katie, that’s a great one. It’s definitely the little things, isn’t it? Same as never leaving an empty coffee pot at the office- make a new one if you drink the last! Those things go a long way.
Wonderful post! My grandma, who will turn 104 in December, lives by many of these “rules.” I truly believe she is as strong as she is at her age due to positive thinking, always seeing the glass half full, and recognizing the beauty around her. Thank you again for your sweet post!
Thank you for the comment, and your grandma sounds like an amazing woman! I’m glad you liked the post!
I think my favorite is “have adventures.” It’s so simple and to the point and absolutely necessary.